REEEP and partners will discuss emerging innovations and their potential to transform mitigation and adaptation efforts in agriculture in an official COP27 side event, 'Emerging Innovations and Their Potential to Transform Mitigation and Adaptation Efforts in Agriculture, A Showcase'.
Globally, we are already seeing the widespread impact of climate change on the natural world and consequently, on agriculture and food production, with new, unpredictable and often dangerous weather patterns threatening the resilience of our food systems. These impacts are only going to increase in severity as we approach 2 degrees of warming, requiring ongoing concurrent adaptation to current issues and mitigation of future challenges through a multi-faceted array of innovations.
This showcase acknowledges that innovation in mitigating and adapting to climate impacts in the food and agricultural sector requires coordination of cross-sectoral solutions, many of which are already available but have not yet reached scale.
The aim of this session is to highlight key examples of technical, social and financial solutions that are already available, and how they might help us mitigate and adapt to climate change, enabling the discussion on the challenges and opportunities posed by these innovations in reaching scale.
- Mitigating climate impacts through regenerative agricultural practices
- The role of key off-grid technologies in maximizing sustainable production and minimizing post-harvest loss inthe face of resource scarcity.
The role of finance in seeding more resilient agri-food systems.
Cooperative social initiatives towards sustainable food systems.
- Eva Kelly Oberender, CEO at REEEP
- Felicity Tolley, Senior Programme Manager of International Energy Access at Energy Saving Trust
- Laura Pereira, Associate Professor Global Change Institute at University of Witwatersrand, Researcher at the Stockholm Resilience Centre
- Richa Goyal, Senior Research Specialist at Energy Saving Trust
- Makena Ireri, Director of Clean Energy Access at CLASP
Join this event to learn more! Register here.